Team Babco has put together a list of music/comedy related documentaries, podcasts, books, and more:
- Travis Scott: Look Mom I Can Fly – Film focuses on the creation of his 2018 album, Astroworld and his ride to stardom.
- Homecoming: A Film By Beyonce – behind the scenes footage and narration from Beyonce about her performance at Coachella 2018.
- Quincy – Documentary about Quincy Jones told/directed by his daughter Rashida Jones.
- ReMastered: The Two Killings of Sam Cooke – Story about his influence over the music world and his impact on social change.
- Amy – Tells the full story of Amy Winehouse’s from her beginning to her tragic end.
- Biggie & Tupac – Tackles one of Hip-Hop’s biggest questions, who killed Biggie and Tupac?
- FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened – Provides an in-depth look at the failed festival and its mastermind, Billy McFarland.
- What Happened, Miss Simone? – An Ode to music legend and civil rights activist Nina Simone.
- Taylor Swift Reputation Stadium Tour
- Bad Rap – History of Asian-American rappers who broken into mainstream. Stories of Dumbdoundead, Awkwafina, Rekstizzy, and Lyricks.
- Sample This – The story of how the “Apache” track (which has been sample in over 500 songs) came to be.
- Avicii: True Stories – Tells the life story about Swedish musician Avicii.
- Gaga: Five Foot Two – Follows lady Gaga as she records, promotes, and releases 2016’s Joanne.
- 20 Feet From Stardom – Primarily focuses on storied backup singers Darlene Love, Judith Hill, and Lisa Fischer, plus many others.
- ReMastered: Who Shot The Sheriff – About the attempted assassination of Bob Marley and how he get tangled in Jamaican politics.
- SHOT! The Psycho-Spiritual Mantra of Rock – Follows the career of music photographer Mick Rock and his work with stars ranging from David Bowie to Snoop Dogg.
- Stretch and Bobbito: Radio That Changed Lives – About WKCR’s late-night Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito radio show and its influence on the rap sound of the 90s.
- Voodoo Child – A look into the life of Jimi Hendrix told from an autobiographical perspective.
- Rapture – A documentary series about hip-hop in 2018.
- Hip-Hop Evolution – An eight episode series that’s features living legends sharing their perspective about how the most popular form of music today came to be out of a burning Bronx in the 1970s.
- 27: Gone Too Soon – Documentary about the various members of the 27 club
The list above is from: The Best Music Documentaries on Netflix – https://www.complex.com/music/best-music-documentaries-netflix-right-now/
Other streaming sites
Fyre Fraud – (Hulu) Tells the story of how it came to be, interviewing McFarland (now a convicted con-man), and many others directly involved with the festival’s planning and poor execution.
Whitney – (Amazon) Documentary about Whitney Houston’s life.
The Defiant Ones – (HBO) This four-part series tracks the individual and combined success of Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, creators of Beats Electronics.
Betty White: First Lady of Television (Netflix) – A look at Betty White’s life and 80 year career.
The Amazing Jonathan Documentary (Hulu) – the film follows the documentarian Benjamin Berman’s quest to track down iconic comedian/magician John Szeles aka The Amazing Johnathan.
John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City (Netflix)
Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King (Netflix)
Trevor Noah: Afraid of the Dark (Netflix)
Seth Myers: Lobby Baby (Netflix)
Jenny Slate: Stage Fright (Netflix)
Ali Wong: Baby Cobra (Netflix)
Iliza Shlesinger: Elder Milennial (Netflix)
Pete Davidson: Alive From New York (Netflix)
Taylor Tomlinson: Quarter-Life Crisis (Netflix)
Ramy Youssef: Feelings (HBO)
Julio Torres: My Favorite Shapes (HBO)
Lil Rel Howery: Live in Crenshaw (HBO)
Amanda Seales: I Be Knowin’ (HBO)
Dan Soder: Son of a Gary (HBO)
Dave Chappelle: Killin’ Them Softly (HBO)
Fortune Feimster: Sweet & Salty (Netflix)
Michelle Wolf: Joke Show (Netflix)
Leslie Jones: Time Machine (Netflix)
Aziz Ansari: Right Now (Netflix)
Nikki Glaser: Bangin’ (Netflix)
The list above is from: Cinema Blend – https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2491721/10-hilarious-stand-up-comedy-specials-to-stream-if-youre-missing-live-comedy
Books about Music
A Dream About Lighting Bugs by Ben Folds
The Beautiful Ones by Prince
Me by Elton John
It’s All In Your Head by Russ
I Still Believe: A Memoir by Jeremy Camp
The Complete David Bowie by Nicholas Pegg
Books by Comedians
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Yes Please by Amy Poehler
The Hidden Power of F*cking Up by The Try Guys
Everything Is Awful: And Other Observations by Matt Bellassai
A Very Punchable Face: A Memoir by Colin Jost
Born A Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? By Mindy Kaling
Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life by Steve Martin
Seriously… I’m Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
Failure Is an Option: An Attempted Memoir by H. Jon Benjamin
Girl Logic: The Genius and the Absurdity by Iliza Shlesinger
“GRL PWR” by Babco Entertainment
“Monday Motivation” by Babco Entertainment
“Pop Rising” by Spotify
“Get Turnt” by Spotify
“Confidence boost” by Spotify
More Spotify Playlists to check out can be found here: https://www.complex.com/music/best-spotify-playlists/
THE TRY GUYS
BEST FRIENDS with Nicole Byer and Sasheer Zamata
ENTRY LEVEL with Brooks Wheelan
YOU MADE IT WEIRD with Pete Holmes
ARMCHAIR EXPERT with Dax Shepherd
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED? with Andrew Jenks